Chad: French Government supports military takeover

Nairametrics

Connect with us

Related Post

iubh
AdvertisementAlpha
AdvertisementHotflex
Advertisement

Advertisement
AdvertisementUBA
AdvertisementPatricia
Advertisementapp

DMCA.com Protection StatusDMCA.com Protection Status















The French Government has disclosed its support for the military takeover in Chad after the son of Chad’s ex-President Idriss Deby took over as president following the death of his father, former President Idriss Deby.

This was disclosed by French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, although under the Chadian constitution, the speaker of the House should have become the interim leader.

READ: Update: Former Military Administrator of Lagos, Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu is dead

“There are exceptional circumstances,” Le Drian said. “Logically, it should be Mr Kabadi…but he refused because of the exceptional security reasons that were needed to ensure the stability of this country.”

Deby’s son, General Mahamat Idriss Deby, disclosed that the Chadian military plans to conduct democratic elections in 18 months, with the French Minister adding that it’s the moment for it to be done when the security of the country has been reestablished.

READ: TY Danjuma: The retired military general who made Forbes richest list

What you should know

  • Nairametrics reported earlier that President Idriss Deby of Chad died of injuries suffered on the frontlines when some terrorists attacked the army. The President had visited the frontlines to share his election victory with the soldiers before the unfortunate incident.
  • General Mahamat will replace his late father as the Head of the Military Council, the army announced on Tuesday.



William Ukpe

Business

Unemployment: Tech can be used to reduce youth unemployment – BOI

The FG disclosed that technology can be used as a catalyst to solve the youth unemployment crisis in Nigeria.

Published

40 mins ago

on

April 23, 2021

By

William Ukpe
Managing-Director-BoI-Mr.-Olukayode-Pitan, Bank of Industry supports SMEs with N3.9 billion loan 

The FG disclosed that Technology can be used as a catalyst to solve the youth unemployment crisis in Nigeria, citing that embracing tech and infusing it into business processes will make organisations and the country more competitive.

This was disclosed by Mr Olukayode Pitan, Managing Director, Bank of Industry (BOI), at the inauguration of BOI-UNILAG Incubation and Co-Working Hub, on Thursday in Lagos.

What Mr Pitan said

Tech can help solve some of Nigeria’s social problems particularly youth unemployment which has been further exacerbated by the pandemic.

At the Bank of Industry, we believe that corporate organisations that are privileged to be in business at these difficult times need to bring groups of like-minded young individuals together to help create wealth and prosperity for future generations.

Embracing tech and infusing it into business processes will make organisations and the country more competitive.

It can create exciting jobs that encourage our young people to stay in Nigeria even as they work and compete globally,” he said.

The BOI boss also revealed that 2 additional hubs have been completed in Kaduna and Kebbi, citing that the bank will also provide funding to support credible and bankable ideas that emerge from the tech hubs to enable them start operations and scale into viable businesses.

“At the Bank of Industry, we believe that with the collective will of our young people’s positive passion, the right government policies, mentorship, and private capital, this can become a reality in a short period,” he said.

HotflexHotflex

What you should know

Nigeria’s unemployment rate as of the end of 2020 rose to 33.3% from 27.1% recorded as of Q2 2020, indicating that about 23,187,389 (23.2 million) Nigerians remain unemployed.

SSKOHNSSKOHN

According to the last Gross Domestic Product Report, released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), the information and communication sector grew by 13.8%% in full-year 2020 compared to 11.08% recorded in 2019 and 9.65% in 2018.

RECOMMENDED POST  Single Mining Farm Needs as Much Power as 24,000 Homes, Kazakhstan Estimates

0
Continue Reading

Business

FG deploys undercover agents to check touting, extortion, others by passport officers

This is part of measures to make the passport application process easier, seamless and transparent.

Published

43 mins ago

on

April 23, 2021

By

Chike Olisah
Buhari discloses what it will take to reverse US visa ban

The Federal Government, on Thursday, announced plans to deploy undercover security operatives in a bid to check touting, extortion and other sharp practices by passport officers across the country and at Nigerian missions abroad. This is part of measures to make the passport application process easier, seamless and transparent.

This disclosure was made by the Minister of Interior, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, in Abuja on Thursday, April 22, 2021.

The Minister stated that the country had in the past witnessed several challenges, which included shortage of booklets, touting, racketeering, inflating the cost of passports being issued to ineligible persons, and so on.

What the Minister of Interior is saying

Aregbesola, in his statement, said, “We are turning round the entire passport application process in a way that is going to be easy, seamless and transparent. We will also accord human dignity to applicants and fulfil citizenship integrity.

Therefore, I am declaring a zero-tolerance stance to all forms of touting. No applicant will be made to pay any illegitimate fees. We are going to embed security operatives, seen and unseen, in all our passport offices. They will wear body cameras.

They will also detect and report any form of solicitations, inflation, improper communications, extortion, diversion, hoarding and other corrupt practices. Applicants will have no basis for further communication officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue.

The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them. The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed. Those caught will be dealt with according to the law.”

The Minister said that an ombudsman would also be created for members of the public to receive complaints and reports on officers trying to deviate from prescribed guidelines and subvert the process.

He explained that 2 special centres for expedited services had been created, adding that the special centres would run on a public-private partnership basis.

SSKOHNSSKOHN

He said, “We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.”

In case you missed it

  • It can be recalled that in March 2021, the Federal Government in partnership with the private sector, launched the Nigeria Immigration Service Passport Express Centre.
  • This is to enable the government offer passport services to Nigerians and make passports available within a maximum period of 72 hours after a successful application.


Continue Reading

Nairametrics | Company Earnings

Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.

  • Nairametrics

    Get the scoops and market intelligence that can help
    you make better investment decisions right in your
    mailbox.

'; // a little hack to hide the checkin button without really tampering with it.

jQuery('#map-canvas').html(html);

}Read Original Article